Ryan Gosling has taken his first step into a larger world.

As "Star Wars: Starfighter" officially begins production in the U.K., Lucasfilm has dropped a photo from the set of the highly anticipated movie, while also revealing the rest of the cast. A black-and-white picture released on Aug. 28 showed Gosling sitting on a vehicle alongside costar Flynn Gray.

Matt Smith, Mia Goth, Aaron Pierre, Simon Bird, Jamael Westman, Daniel Ings and Amy Adams are also set to star in the movie from director Shawn Levy ("Deadpool & Wolverine").

"I feel a profound sense of excitement and honor as we begin production on 'Star Wars: Starfighter,'" Levy said in a statement.

"From the day (Lucasfilm president) Kathy Kennedy called me up, inviting me to develop an original adventure in this incredible 'Star Wars' galaxy, this experience has been a dream come true, creatively and personally," he continued. "'Star Wars' shaped my sense of what story can do, how characters and cinematic moments can live with us forever. To join this storytelling galaxy with such brilliant collaborators onscreen and off, is the thrill of a lifetime."

"Star Wars: Starfighter" is described as an "all-new standalone adventure," telling an "entirely original story set in a period of time never before explored" in the "Star Wars" franchise. It takes place five years after the events of 2019's "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker," Lucasfilm previously said.

"Star Wars" has not released a new film in theaters since that 2019 sequel trilogy finale, which received mixed reactions from critics and fans.

In the years since, numerous "Star Wars" movie projects have been announced, only to never make it across the finish line — including the Patty Jenkins-directed "Rogue Squadron," which was at one point scheduled for release in 2023 but has since been removed from Disney's schedule.

So for fans, news that "Star Wars: Starfighter" has started production was much-needed confirmation that the film is really happening and will likely be able to make it release date of May 28, 2027.

Before then, "Star Wars" will return to movie theaters for the first time in seven years in May 2026 with "The Mandalorian and Grogu," a movie continuation of the Disney+ series "The Mandalorian." Other "Star Wars" films that have been announced include a new trilogy of films from Simon Kinberg and another movie from "Thor: Ragnarok" director Taika Waititi.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: 'Star Wars: Starfighter' debuts first look, reveals star-studded cast of Ryan Gosling film

Reporting by Brendan Morrow, USA TODAY / USA TODAY

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect