Ontario NDP MPPs and advocates are calling on the Doug Ford government to establish an emergency task force to address overdose deaths.
Dr. Robin Lennox, NDP MPP for Hamilton Centre, said a task force is necessary to develop and implement an overdose prevention strategy with the aim of reducing the harms of toxic drugs in Ontario communities. In March, the Ontario government closed nine supervised consumption sites and communities have felt the absence of these services since then, she said.
"We need to use every tool at our disposal, including harm reduction and treatment, to save lives," Lennox told reporters at a Queen's Park news conference on Thursday.
"Overdose deaths are preventable, but we need to act. In doing so, our communities will be safer for all of us," Lennox said.
"All