Today's Dafter was founded in 1879 as a lumber camp with the original name of Stevensburg.

At that time, it was also given a post office named Stevensburgh, with George Stevens as the first postmaster.

According to the Eastern Upper Peninsula Regional Planning and Development Commission (EUPRPDC), several years later, the name of the post office was changed to Dafter after the township was organized in 1894. This happened after splitting off from Bruce Township, which was organized in 1883.

Dafter was a vital little community with a stop on the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railroad, which was important for travel and trade back then.

Hay was shipped by rail out of the Sault, Dafter, Brimley, and Rudyard areas. In the early 1900s, it was a common sight to see sleighs haulin

See Full Page