It didn't come as a surprise when the Red Sox moved Walker Buehler to the bullpen last week given the right-handed starter struggled in the rotation. But it was expected the two-time MLB All-Star would be given some time to gain comfortability in the 'pen seeing how he started 162 of 164 games since 2018.
That was before circumstances changed, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow said after the Red Sox released Buehler on Friday afternoon.
Stream NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are. WATCH HERE
"Our hope and our expectation was we were going to be able to provide enough runway to give him a chance to settle in and transition into that role and then contribute down the stretch and get some meaningful outs for us," Breslow said before the Red Sox opened a three-game ser