Plumes of smoke were seen rising in Gaza City on Sunday, as the city's hospitals reported more fatalities from strikes and gunfire amid Israel's renewed offensive.

Israel has for weeks been operating on the outskirts of Gaza City, as well as the Jabaliya refugee camp, to prepare for the initial stages of its offensive, which it announced on Friday.

At least 43 Palestinians have been killed since Saturday, most of them in Gaza City, according to local hospitals.

Shifa Hospital — the territory’s largest — said 29 bodies had been brought to its morgue, including 10 people killed while seeking aid and others struck across the city.

On Sunday morning, hospital officials reported 11 more fatalities.

Al-Awda Hospital said seven of them were civilians trying to reach aid.

Meanwhile, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz announced Sunday that a spokesperson for Hamas’ armed wing, Abu Obeida, was killed in Gaza over the weekend.

Obeida’s last statement was on Friday as Israel began the initial stages of the new military offensive in Gaza City, declaring the area a combat zone.

Hamas has not commented on Israel’s claim.