Long Islanders can expect higher prices and longer delivery times after a duty-free exemption on low-cost imports expires Friday, experts warned, although some said the end of the tax loophole could aid domestic manufacturers.

The exemption, known as “de minimis,” has allowed shipments valued under $800 to enter the United States tariff-free since 2016, but will end under an executive order signed last month by President Donald Trump. More than 90% of imports currently fall under the de minimis policy, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection . Several countries have said they would temporarily suspend shipments to the United States.

The biggest problem with eliminating the policy “is that it will hurt the consumer and the small business,” said John Capela, an assistant profess

See Full Page