HONG KONG >> Thousands turned out on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims of Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in more than 75 years, as Beijing warned it would crack down on any “anti-China” protest in the wake of the blaze.

The cause of the blaze at a high-rise apartment complex, remains under investigation, amid public anger over missed fire risk warnings and evidence of unsafe construction practices.

Police said on Sunday the confirmed death toll had risen to 146 after they completed a sweep of five of the burnt-out towers. Some bodies had been found in stairwells and on rooftops where residents had tried to flee. More than 40 people are still missing, police said.

Mourners queued for more than a kilometre along the banks of a canal near the burnt-out Wang Fuk Court housing complex to lay

See Full Page